The BitCurator Environment is a Ubuntu-derived Linux distribution geared towards the needs of archivists and librarians. It includes a suite of open source digital forensics and data analysis tools to help collecting institutions process born-digital materials. BitCurator supports positive digital preservation outcomes using software (see our BitCurator Environment Releases page) and practices adopted from the digital forensics community.
- Create forensic disk images: Disk images packaged with metadata about devices, file systems, and the creation process.
- Analyze files and file systems: View details on file system contents from a wide variety of file systems.
- Extract file system metadata: File system metadata is a critical link in the chain of custody and in records of provenance.
- Identify and redact sensitive information: Locate private and sensitive information on digital media and prepare materials for public access.
- Locate and remove duplicate files: Know what files to keep and what can be discarded.
Please use the BitTorrent link to download the BitCurator Environment. The links below also include a direct download and a mirror provided by iBibio.
|BitCurator Virtual Machine (v1.7.104)|
|BitCurator Installation ISO (v1.7.104)|
|Quickstart Guide Installing and using BitCurator.|
The current release is built using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Looking for a previous (14.04 LTS) release? You can find the final stable download on the BitCurator Environment Releases page.
Virtual Machine Login
BitCurator ships with a default user. You are strongly encouraged to change the default password when working in a production environment.
|BitCurator User Group Get support and discuss issues with the community.|
|Screencasts and Video Tutorials Useful screencasts on our YouTube channel.|
The source in the BitCurator environment GitHub repositories is GPL v3 licensed. This wiki, documentation, and other materials generated by the BitCurator team are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0). All other software included in the BitCurator environment is distributed in accordance with original licenses.