BitCurator is a suite of Linux-based open-source digital forensics and data-analysis tools to help collecting institutions process born-digital materials.
Using BitCurator, digital archivists are able perform a number of digital preservation tasks based on best-practices adopted from the digital forensics community. Those tasks primarily include:
- Create forensic disk images: Your disk images are packaged with metadata on the device and capture process used to create them.
- Analyze files and file systems: View details on file system contents from a wide variety of file systems.
- Extract file system metadata: Metadata supports records of provenance and chains of custody.
- Identify and redact sensitive information: Locate potentially sensitive information on born-digital media in a wide variety of forms and prepare the media for ethical public use.
- Identify and remove duplicate files: Know what files to keep and what can be discarded.